There are many steps involved with regard to having your vision come to life. There are plans, budget and people that all need to be referenced in the matter. It’s important to take it one step at a time in order to insure that your finished product is well executed and you are happy!
The most important thing to consider is a contractor. Choosing the right contractor is the difference between a project that runs smooth and with minor issues if any, to one that doesn’t seem to run at all. There are many horror stories out there of people who were taken advantage of one way or another and here at Regal, it’s important to us that we educate as many people we can on what it takes to hire a good contractor so that we can be a part of the solution to this pesky problem.
Here are a few things to look for…
- Does the scope of work match their abilities? If the contractor is confident in their abilities they will have no qualms about handing over proof. Pictures speak 1000 words and don’t be afraid to ask for referrals!
- Remember that the contractor with the cheapest quote is not always the best choice. NOR is the most expensive. In general, it’s good to find someone who is competitive but it’s even better to find someone who also keeps the value of their work and the best interest of their crew in mind when fighting for your business. If their crew is being paid fairly, they will have good craftsmanship while working on your project. If the crew is disgruntled, it will show in their work.
- What resources does the contractor have available to them? Do they have personnel on staff that know how to pull permits, create design plans and in general can be sensitive to your needs as the client? It’s important to know what’s going on throughout the process and therefor, it’s important to have someone you feel comfortable calling with questions or concerns. Does the contractor have that “someone” on hand?
- Are they responsible with funding? There can be some unforeseen issues that can arise but for the most part, it shouldn’t be detrimental to the budget. A good contractor will do all of the leg work ahead of time in order to get the quote as close as possible. The last thing you want is a contractor that is half way through the job and turns out to be tens of thousands dollars higher that what was originally quoted. Make sure that you know who to make accountable for the costs.
- Remember that with bigger projects, there will be bumps in the road. Problems will arise. Be wary of the contractor that says the word “perfect”. Instead, lean toward the contractor that lets you in on the bumps, keeps you involved and more importantly, guarantees that whatever problems arise, they will bring solutions.
Here at Regal, we have the upmost respect for your vision and we want to see it come to life! Our team is seasoned, sensitive to your needs and we’ve got what you’re looking for when searching for a quality contractor. When you’re ready to plan a project or looking to watch your plans come to life, call us and take comfort in knowing that your satisfaction is guaranteed!